Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

gemma@mysociety.org

710 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by gemma@mysociety.org 710 days ago
Upcoming Events where Poplus community could meet - please add your events here!
 
Calendars to watch:
 
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Late August 2015: Hacks Hackers BA's Media Party, Buenos Aires, Argentina
 
  • 2-4 September 2015, International Anti-Corruption Conference, Malaysia: http://16iacc.org/
  •  
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
  •  
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
 
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
  • 7 - 8 Sep 2015: AbreLatam 2015, Santiago, Chile
  •  
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
 
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
  •  
 
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
 
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
  • mySociety will be hosting a research workshop and will have a stand in the Open Fair. 
  •  
  •  
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
  •  
 
  • Anyone going? (please add your name here)
 
915 days ago
Steven C Agenda 
 
  • Introductions - 10 min
  • Quick greetings from Tom (Paul, in Tom’s absence) and Pablo/FCI
Myf N
  • Welcome to everyone, great to see so many people on the call. Tom will be joining us if he can but he's travelling in London right now.
Steven C
  • Hello from participants - Name, Org, Place
Myf N
  • Paul (mySociety)
  • Gemma (mySociety) - Events organiser, based in UK, helps with outreach and events organisation
  • Dave (mySociety) - International team at mysoc, met some at Popluscon, working on Alaveteli documentation right now
  • Myf (mySociety) - Communications and Marketing for mySociety
  • Martín (Congreso Interactivo) (Argentina) co-ordinator and lead dev at CI, using Poplus components
  • Mark (mySociety) Developer for mySoc, working on parliaments team using PopIt and Poplus components, uses Pombola for PMO sites mostly in sub-Saharan Africa
  • James (calendar project) in Scotland, working on Open Data 
  • Chee Leong (Sinar Project)
  • Jen (mySociety) International projects with Paul and Dave, met lots of you already virtually or IRL
  • sweemeng (Sinar Project) Works with CL in Malaysia
  • Steve Clift Minneapolis with NGO called edemocracy, proactively engaged via mySoc to foster communications online
  • Meron Menwyelet (NDI) Washington, DC 
  • Duncan Parkes (mySociety) Based in Lampeter West Wales, UK working on Sayit sorting out documentation to import AN from Popit, helping FCI guys on WriteIt this week, and working with Tony to make database of all the reps there are in the whole world Open Politicians. Nothing to show yet but will be at openpoliticians.com.
  • Felipe and Pablo from FCI - Santiago Chile, working with several projects in Chile and some in other Latin American countries.
  • Zarino (mySociety) designer, here to listen and observe as he's recently been working on PopIt and YourNextMP
Yuan C
  • Ly (g0v.tw) Developer, Taiwan
 
               
Myf N Clift: Been a while since we had a full group connection, we had too many people last time and had a live IRC session, after that we broke into committees, but this is the first time our voices are all back together.
 
It's good for us to link up and hear what's going on across the network, it's important to be friendly and accessible too. Just an informal catch-up.
 
In Feb we hope to have more of a showcase and more formal presentations of recent projects.
 
Steven C
  • Showcase Presenters (proposed) - 15 min
  • YourNextMP - Mark
Myf N YourNextMP is based on PopIt components which mySociety has been developing for some time (PopIt + MapIt)
 
PopIt stores names of people and organisations and the relationships between them. It's primarily intended for politicians, but can be used for all types of data: one example might be cycling teams.
 
In the UK we have a General Election in May of this year. There's a problem in that there's no fixed candidate list until about 10 days before the election. Typically this is in PDF format and there's no guarantee it's machine readable - a problem if you want to make election more open and transparent e.g. make a site for all Twitter traffic relating to one constituency or any project that asks questions of a candidate
 
mySociety has been working with organisation called Democracy Club, who are all volunteers, It restarted after an initial version for the 2010 election. Now Sym Roe and Will Moy are the main protaganists, hoping to make the election as open and transparent as possible and help people get the facts about what their candidate stands for - which needs accurate data
 
We thought we'd just use the PopIt web interface and create accounts for anyone who wanted to edit, and let them add details of candidates and where they are standing but quickly found that the interface was too flexible - it allows you to express all kinds of different relations between people and organisations.
 
With thousands of candidates, we would need to do some crowd sourcing and letting people edit the database in that way was going to create problems, since we need to limit what they can express in this very narrow domain
 
Popit being a component, gives you an HTTP-based API. We created a simple front end using the API to update the PopIt database: it's restricted, so it allows people to see a list of candidates from  the last election and tick yes or no they are standing again, or add completely new candidates. (It always asks you to record "How do you know that?")
 
It's a Django project, a useful exercise to try a use case for PopIt and we improved some things in PopIt as a result.  Now over 2,000 candidates, we think the data's of good quality, over half way to roughly the number who stood in the last election
 
Mark L Anyone with social log in or confirmed email address can make edits, so we need to record changes - on top of the basic Popolo data model every version of the candidate's details is recorded and  and you can revert malicious edits. 
 
Myf N Going quite well, we have been thinking about what stops people make mailicious edits? So for example we made it so that you can't upload pictures directly. Are images more likely to be used like this? We are doing it by hand but might introduce a private moderation queue.
 
That's a brief introduction any qs?
 
Andres: We have the same issue - trying to edit content from many different users - maybe should write to Mark to ask specific questions.
 
Mark: Yes, that would be welcome. At the moment we take one person's API and every edit is being made with that one user ID and each politician's record has versions, an array of every version of that person's information. It's a slightly odd Django project as originally it didn't have a relational database at all, it was just GET, PUT and POST to PopIt from the views, but we did need a database for extra-PopIt information, e.g. keeping a log of what actions people have taken, login credentials, also used for the leaderboard on the front page to encourage others to contribute.
 
Q: Do you cache the last version?
 
Mark: (Sorry, I misunderstood this question!) The versioning is v simple, for each updated version we privately the IP address but the name of the user, the date goes into PopIt, also we generate a random ID for that commit and a reduced form of the data from which we could recreate the entire record. 
 
The problem is we wanted to have something simple without rebuilding the whole git data model within PopIt so at the moment the versions are linear, first in time to last in time with representation of state at that time. 
 
Mark L This was fine until we needed to add merging of candidate records: this is a common need as users don't always realise there's an existing record for the person. Merging two people means joining two linear histories - at the moment we're appending into one list. Built-in versioning in PopIt is a bigger project on the dev plan.
 
Myf N Martin from CI: would like to Implement YourNextMP for Argentina and maybe Guatemala and could we do a call especially for anyone who's interested in using it, to look at how it might be localised.
 
 
Clift: Are there others who might be interested in using this in your own country? Minnesota would be. Great to get involved with candidates before they become rigid in their views, early in the campaigning process.
 
Are we finding that people are coming to us with solid reuse proposals? 
 
Mark L Mark: Yes, there's been interest from traditional media orgs, big social media sites and so on. Examples: a news article on the gender diversity of candidates based on our data; also there's already been a site using the data to show all the tweets per constituency http://twittelection.co.uk/
Myf N We have a good chance of being a better alternative than the commercial databases. Other projects, linking Electionleaflets project with a database of everything candidates have published in their own constituencies. Many of these projects are only just getting off the ground so we hope that next time we'll have more to report.
 
Clift: You can add ideas via Github so feel free to add your own ideas to the various Poplus Components.
 
Steven C
  • Note: We will highlight other mini-grants/projects each meetup.
  • Pop-it in Malaysia - Sinar
Myf N We use PopIt and it's a good idea to have interchangable data standard so we can share right now we're recently acquired citable data from newspapers and in process of getting more data about MPs and cleaning up, merging some of the details. Politician tracker in project being planned for quite a while for other people to make use of the project output - to track politicians when they are in the news, could be useful for journalists. 
 
Join with (group?) for new MyMP projects, still writing to Poplus about using PopIt, some caching tools for PopIt, hopefully components can be re-used for other users as well. And a custom version of the UI.
 
sweemeng n We hope that with PopIt and etc, will form the underlying infrastructure for other apps, API and the data. The idea is so that different groups will focus on the the more valuable work for example approaching people, the idea so they can use the data and application in a meaningful way for the issues they care about and not building the underlying backend from scratch. 
 
Myf N I can foresee that Poplus will be a big part of what we'll be using in future, We might introduce some tools that we used to have for others to use. We also hope to attend and organize some conference,  we already engaging via an unconference in February with NGOs in the country  - let's make sure that's included in the communications calendar/events list.
 
-- Most of our tools will be some lock in proxies, caching etc can be reusable so we'll be sharing them once they have been properly cleaned up.
 
Clift: You received a mini grant and some broader funding that is allowing you to create a wider project?
 
Yes - this year the funding allowed for developers, programme officers etc and we could spend more time on actually running the project as well as developing. Not just tools for us, but tools that we can share with other groups.
 
From Chile: With Tony Bowden we have started coding WriteIt so we can make integration between PopIt and WriteIt, wanted to make it really straightforward to make one instance out of the other. Also in the short term to integrate with Cuttlefish from the Open Australia foundation which works really well, we've already integrated it with some of our projects, will be writing to the group soon to update everyone.
 
...
1117 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by James McKinney , gemma@mysociety.org 1117 days ago
Finance Committee Call Agenda
 
James M
  • (James' feedback) It could use some small tweaks, but before concentrating on that, I'd like to go over the next steps for the one-pager.
 
1b) (James) - get a sense of how much it will cost to do exchanges based upon the prior experience of member organisations
 
(James) This seems ambitious. I've added a second sheet to the budget spreadsheet that gives some other scenarios. Once we agree on what to raise funds for, we will know what we should aim to raise.
 
gemma@mysociety.org Note by Gemma: We have a list of upcoming events which we think Poplus members should go to. However, when current members aren't going anyway, we don't have any funds to help get them there. E.g. The GoOpen conference in Norway has asked someone from Poplus to speak, and some members are interested in going, but are unable to self-fund. Should we have funds for this purpose? 
 
1091 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by gemma@mysociety.org 1091 days ago
1. Feedback from Transparency Camp and OKFest: What Poplus events took place there? What went well/what could be done better next time? 
gemma@mysociety.org Notes from session at OkFest can be read here: https://pad.okfn.org/p/UnFestival 
Notes from session at TCamp called 'When Open Source is not enough for sharing' can be found here: http://transparencycamp.org/schedule/2014/when-open-source-is-not-enough-for-sharing/
 
1112 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by gemma@mysociety.org 1112 days ago
  • Storing voting data in a structured, accessible format
 
1131 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by gemma@mysociety.org 1131 days ago
 
 
1166 days ago
James M JOIN IRC! https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/#poplus  This is where we are talking NOW
 
 
Tom S Tom Steinberg will chair - as unobtrusively as possible. Someone else can chair next time!
 
12.00 UTC - Max five minutes getting-Skype-to-work time
12.05 EXACTLY - Meeting formally starts - welcome
 
12.06 - Events
  • Would anyone like to be in an 'Poplus events' group?'. Get names down, get a volunteer coordinator to make the first meeting happen.
Jen B
  • Jen Bramley
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Gemma Humphrys (Action: to organise next meeting. Send around draft agenda a few days before call)
Myfanwy N
  • Myf Nixon
Khairil Y
  • Ng Swee Meng (Sinar, Malaysia)
Jen B
  • Eduardo Bejar
James M
  • (James McKinney: I'll be presenting at an event in June, so I'd be interested to know if this group has recommendations on what/how to communicate about Poplus at events)
Tom S
  • What tech would you like to use to collaborate on this group? Email? Facebook? IRC?
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Gemma will coordinate the first Events group Google Hangout - then discuss splitting into regionally lead groups
  • Could use the International calendar
  • A new Trello board? There should be a Trello board for each of these Poplus groups. FCI will set up Trello boards for each group. 
Tom S
  • Has anyone got any interesting news about events they'd like to share?
Paul L
  • 30-31 May, Transparency Camp (with international days before and after that)- let's have a meet up around that - Action if you are going please check out the Doodle here:  http://doodle.com/c453b5h4u28yg94w
James M
gemma@mysociety.org
  • 15-17 July: OkFest, Berlin: MySociety have proposed a session entitled ‘Collaborative civic coding; needs, uses and avoiding the “not built here” syndrome’ that will talk about Poplus amongst that. We will find out if session is accepted by end of May. If not accepted, we could perhaps suggest a session on the day. Who else will be at OkFest? Should we meet to chat things through?
Chia-liang K
  • g0v.tw-hosted event in Taiwan 8 November 2014
Paul L
  • AbreLatAm - October 2014, Mexico
 
 
gemma@mysociety.org 12.16 - Poplus Components (merged with: Improving the skills and capacities of members)
Tom S
  • Would anyone like to be on the 'Poplus Components' group, that helps certify Components, and generally encourage their creation, use and quality? Get names down, get a volunteer coordinator to make the first meeting happen.
Tony B
  • Tony Bowden
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Chee Leong Chow  (Action: to organize next meeting. Send around draft agenda a few days before call))
James M
  • I'll help out with tech write up and documentation
Khairil Y
  • Khairil Yusof
James M
  • James McKinney
Filipe S
  • Filipe Saraiva (non-coder, wants to help with high level functional scoping and specification, as well as QA after development)
Gabriela R
  • Gabriela Rodriguez (in watching mode to get up to speed on the components, not sure how much time I can commit)
  • What tech would you like to use to collaborate on this group?
Filipe S
  • Project management:
Paul L
Filipe S
  • Not sure if this is how it is already setup or not, but if we end up using Trello, Poplus should be an org, and each component its own separate board. Other groups should have their own boards as well.
Pedro D
  • I like the idea of having a general borad for components when poplus tracks the progress of all components, but each components might have the preferred management tool  of the developer team (pivotal, github, etc)
Chee C
  • CCL: Use trello to link progress with working issues. Tickets that have to be resolved before moving. :)
Pedro D
  • Option 2, Github: JM: I personally much prefer Github issues (even if there is no code associated with the repository). Generally speaking I love github, but I don't get how to track the progress.... that's what I like of trello, we can have several stages for components, by moving the card through the columns from the Idea to the deployed for instance. 
Filipe S
  • Communication:
Chia-liang K
  • Primary means: Mailing list-  using the current poplus google group for now.  can split if volume starts to spike
Filipe S
  • it's like our own private IRC network, with as many channels as needed
  • completely searchable logs of both text and various attachments
  • also integrates with numerous other services to keep centralized activity logs
James M
  • JM: if we need a lot of semi-synchronous communication, I guess Slack is good - otherwise the mailing list and an issue tracker seem fine
Tony B
  •  +1 on mailing list and issue tracker 
Chia-liang K
  • mailing list-  using the current poplus google group for now.  can split if volume starts to spike
Tom S
  • Has anyone got any interesting news about Poplus Components they'd like to share?
Khairil Y
  • Malaysia, Sinar is planning to use Popit/Popolo standard to build a large database of people, organizations and posts from 1974-present, that will be used as reference by other applications when doing mashups of data to provide better transparency
  • People to people, people to org relations will be important for us here, we will be populating this information from non-digital sources such as political history books, Auditor General reports
 
Tom S 12.26 - Poplus.org website and communications 
  • Would anyone like to be in the group that looks after the Poplus.org website and other communications, as well as community facilitation? Get names down, get a volunteer coordinator to make the first meeting happen 
Dave W
  • Dave Whiteland
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Myf Nixon (Action: will organise first comms call. Send around draft agenda a few days before call)
Felipe H
  • Maria Luisa Sotomayor
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Gemma Humphrys
Jen B
  • Jen Bramley
Dave W
  • Fabrizio Scrollini
Eduardo B
  • Eduardo Bejar
Tom S
  • What tech would you like to use to collaborate on this group?
gemma@mysociety.org
  • A new Trello board? There should be a Trello board for each of these Poplus groups. Action - FCI will set up Trello boards for each group. 
Tom S
  • Is there any exciting news about the Poplus.org website?
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Yes, lots of post conference new pages/info. Comms group should focus on translating this into other languages to spread the word to further countries. 
Jen B
  • Also from Tony Bowden:  I think we should explicitly poll the group at a certain date to see if it's reached the point where people are starting to think something should be split off (but not yet at the point where they really want to proactively complain) - We should discuss when this could be done.
  • Also so far we only have one representative from MENA region (Tarik N) do we have any further contacts there that could be worth exploring?
Tom S 12.36 - Governance
  • Would anyone like to be in an 'Poplus Governance design' group?' Get names down, get a volunteer coordinator to make the first meeting happen.
gemma@mysociety.org
  • Felipe Heusser (Action: volunteer first meeting coordination. Send around draft agenda a few days before call).
Chia-liang K
  • James McKinney
Chia-liang K
  • Tom being super clear here - this group is not automatically running everything - instead it's the group that will work out what more formal system gets built for running things to suggest back to the federation.
Tom S
  • What tech would you like to use to collaborate on this group?
gemma@mysociety.org
  • New Trello board (set up by FCI)  (? Maybe) and main Google list, Google hangouts plus hackpad to take notes.
 
Tom S 12.46 - Funding
  • Would anyone like to be in a 'Poplus funding/fundraising' group? Get names down, get a volunteer coordinator to make the first meeting happen.
Felipe H
  • Nicolas Cristi
...

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in